Friday, August 28, 2009

Illustration: Battle


Battle by =Waterdroplet-s on deviantART

Concept Art+digital painting practice+procrastination.

I first tried to make the image dimension equal to golden ratio but decided to use one third rule. I made the sky as white since it was interesting to have a high contrast image.




SAI
Photoshop CS3

~1.5 wks though I didn't work on this most of the time.


Progress in a nutshell(stuff in the end's missing)*crazier than usual:

It started with a basic background... tower with a person sitting on a rock?


Since it was sort of boring, I changed the shape.

Still boring... expanded horizontally + more people
The angle was boring so I did transform a bit on each

Added a person, deleted a person
Getting slightly finer details...

started shading... arm is funny... fix that and change the person pointing finger to archer
More shading... and erase that person being chased by a dragon since no one looks desperate


This guy needs an armor
More details+ shading
Ugh... only guys are boring

Lady added but she's too naked



She's wearing something now but bald...

Adding hair gives more movement




Highlight gave more interesting image+ starts coloring in whatever color I can find ( it doesn't matter what since I will change it anyway)


Changed the staff size



added hair color to the guy

More coloring...

and added details +colors-sky+more vertical space since she's too crammed+magic like effects -> ta- dah!


I used out of the norm steps for this digital painting since I was just allowing my imagination to do the work. So... no composition, not much planning, and in the end- interesting experience.


I will work properly from now...

>>

Found the Concept Art Tutorial concerning composition at last!!

Environment Concept Art: Composition by Philip Straub


I will try to study this and use it on my future illustrations! Yay!

No comments: