Monday, May 18, 2009

Swine Flu



This is the condition in many shops in Kansai now- all masks are gone from shelves due to panic caused by swine flu epidemic. Schools in Osaka and Hyogo prefectures have closed down. Hospitals in Kobe are in chaos due to panic.


Even though the swine flu is similar to old ones, people still fear it. So, areas that don't even have it yet ran out of masks. The earliest we could get is in the middle of June since all the companies ran out of them.


People around me talked about masks all day, and so I called up my relatives who are in the area close to where latest cases were found just to see if they were ok.

The response I got was:

LOL

"Oh, if the mask runs out, I just have to make them from gauze. I used to do that long time ago (lol)"





So... there shouldn't be too much panic going on, but people are still afraid of this new type of flu since they don't know about it. Anything new- people fear, and even though I'm supposed to be fine, people around me panic so I panicked as well. Fear is more contagious than flu.


And, even worse, I always imagine scenes from I am Legend whenever I hear about flu from people around me. If it happens for real, I'm dead for sure.

No comments: